Now in its 8th year, the Kuala Lumpur International Photo Awards continues to engage the global photographic community with the 2016 Call for Entries . KLPA remains committed to promoting international contemporary portrait photography from South East Asia and the rest of the world, by rewarding some of the top photographers in the portraiture genre.
As in previous years, it seeks fresh and innovative photography from new, emerging and established photographers from around the world. What is the perfect portrait that will make you cry, smile, laugh out loud, shock or trouble your senses? How is beauty assessed in the world of portrait photography?
There are two categories:
• Single Image – Open Theme
• Single Image – Theme: Stillness & Distance
Portrait may be interpreted in its widest sense, in relation to photography concerned with portraying people with emphasis on their identity as individuals in relation to their surroundings, status and humanity.
All photographs must have been taken in 2015 and 2016 or part of an on-going project. Basic darkroom techniques ( e.g. levels, curves, dodging, burning, minimal sharpening, colour correction ) are permissible. Photographs can be Black and White or Colour , in any format. Entrants can enter more than one category, up to 10 images for each category.
The Photographer retains the copyright of all submitted images at all times.
Early bird discount ( from 1 to 29 February, 2016 ):
• 1-5 images: USD 10 per image
• 6-10 images: USD 75 per entry
Standard fees apply ( from 1 March to 31 March, 2016 ):
• 1-5 images: USD 15 per image
• 6 to 10 images: USD 115 per entry Eligibility Open to photographers from all over the world, including professionals, amateurs, keen hobbyists and students. All contestants must be 16 years of age or over on 30th April 2016 . Prize KLPA 2016 presents to the winning photographers a total of up to 15,000 USD in prizes plus three special KLPA commissioned bronze trophies to cherish.
Specially for South East Asia region participants, they have exclusive workshop prizes to be awarded to three ’best entries’ courtesy of our event partners Obscura Festival and Invisible Photographer Asia .
All prizewinners will also be invited to attend the Awards Presentation in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in August 2016 , when the public exhibition of the Winners and Finalists will open.